DESIGNER INTERVIEW : ZEM by SAMIRA ALGOE





    Samira Algoe ( her blog here ), designer of her label ZEM, from Holland sent me an email early this year, introducing me her graduate collection 2010. Looking back to the first email replying to Sam, I described it as reminding me a little bit of Calvin Klein and Jil Sander.

    One of her favourite designers is Raf Simons and I can see how their razor sharp cuts can be seen in her work. I love the geometrical shapes, colour blocks and also the intricate detailing Sam shows in her designs. I would total get one of those blazer/jackets and that white shirt ( picture below)

    Things that I first looked at was the grey shorts, the small detailing on the shorts and series of rectangles just seem to be nearly 3d standing out, to me. I guess I could describe her garments as modern with a minimalism. When I saw the jackets/blazers, I can see how she is inspired by her way of seeing things and art such as Mondrian . "When I look at a picture, my mind separates the image in little independent islands. They all become geometric fields."

    I'm looking forward to her development. I definitely see some potential.


    Click on images for Larger





Total Pageviews