WILLIAM RICHARD GREEN AW 11 + INTERVIEW



    Here is London based designer, William Richard Green's Autumn/Winter 2011 collection and an interview that I conducted awhile back that I never put up.

    This season, he draws inspiration from "The Viking." Utilising it's fearless and extremely masculine expression of the iconic historical figure, Green creates a modern image of the great historical warrior. The collection is made through the use the art of viking clothes making, including the use of ancient pattern cutting, pleating and the armour-based attire in addition to Green's own passion of utilitarian garments.

    I really like the shapes created which gives a structured look in his jacket pieces and I especially like the leather pieces. The drop crotch cutting works perfectly well too! All his collections are really quite boyish with it's looks, which is why I like it so much, but this time we can see him move into a more of a masculine look.



    Name?

    William Richard Green

    Age?
    24

    Where are you based?
    East London

    When and how did you decide on design as your career?
    During my Art foundation Course in Stourbridge. I just thought it was the most fun choice

    What do you make and when did you decide on this?
    Clothes, I do my label on my own, I started after graduation

    What was the process in beginning your label?
    All my friends went on to do further education or get jobs and I didn't want to do either so I started my own brand.

    Tell us a little bit about your style.
    I always have a strong theme throughout my collections and try and live in 'the life' of whatever muse I choose.



    Tips for aspiring designers, like me?
    You can make something out of nothing and keep trying

    Where did you study fashion design?
    Central Saint Martins

    How did your friends/family react to you turning to fashion design?
    They would have had just the same view if I had chosen to do anything else.

    How do you approach your designs each season and what inspires you?
    I choose a theme and try to get as involved as possible in it, i really like the research side of fashion, it allows you to be obsessed with something for six months and then move on!

    What are your aesthetics/inspirations?
    Utilitarian, workman's clothing, clothing that is wearable and practical to an extent.

    Where do you source fabrics and what kind of fabrics do you use?
    Mainly London. I love using quite rugged hardy fabrics

    How is your label unique from others?
    Its probably not. I just like it. I'm not desperate to be different.



    Who is your target market? what/why do you think your products appeals to them?
    I don't really have one, I don't look at it as business where I am trying to make money from a certain demographic I just make a collection as a product of my research and hope people will like it.

    What type of guy is a William Richard Green wearer?
    Some one like me

    Favourite designer/s and why?
    Aitour Throup, Givenchy, James Long. They produce good original menswear.

    I believe good models help a lot in selling the clothes. What kind of models' outlook do you choose for your label?
    Normally my friends, I love working with people I get on with, and I feel they get what it's all about more, so it's more fun.

    What will the public expect to see next season?
    It's a secret.

    Describe your label in a sentence?
    I think it's a good reflection of my personality in clothing



Total Pageviews